Columbia Heights Public Schools Honors Board of Education for School Board Recognition Week
The Minnesota School Boards Association has set Feb. 22-26, 2021 as Minnesota School Board Recognition Week to build awareness and understanding of the vital function elected school board members play in our society. Columbia Heights Public Schools (CHPS) is joining other districts from across the state to celebrate School Board Recognition Week to honor local board members for their commitment to our students, staff and community.
“Strong schools help build strong communities, and the CHPS School Board devotes countless hours supporting each and every child in their learning, development and wellbeing.” said Superintendent Zena Stenvik. “School board members make the difficult decisions every month that address education issues and regulations in order to provide the kind of accountability our community expects.”
The key work of boards is to raise student achievement by:
- Creating a vision for what the community wants the school district to be and for making student achievement the top priority;
- Establishing standards for what students will be expected to learn and be able to do;
- Ensuring progress is measured to be sure the district’s goals are achieved and students are learning at expected levels;
- Being accountable for their decisions and actions by continually tracking and reporting results;
- Creating a safe, orderly climate where students can learn and teachers can teach;
- Forming partnerships with others in the community to solve common problems; and
- Focusing attention on the need for continuous improvement by questioning, refining and revising issues related to student achievement.
The members serving our district and their years of service are as follows:
Naty Severson (Chair, has served for 5 years) Lorien Mueller (Vice Chair, has served for 4 years), Laura Palmer (Clerk, has served for10 years), Hala Asamarai (Treasurer, has served for 4 years), Molly Lewis (Director, has served for 6 years) and Mary Granlund (Director, newly elected).
CHPS will recognize its school board members at its Feb. 23 Regular Business Meeting.