2019 Welcome Letter
August 2019 -- View in Spanish
Greetings from Columbia Academy,
We hope that you are having a great summer and that you and your child are looking forward to the start of the 2019/2020 school year. This letter includes important information as you prepare for the beginning of school.
Columbia Academy Open House for all parents and students is Tuesday, August 27, from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm. At Open House, you will be able to take care of the following:
- Receiving your child’s schedule
- Receiving your child’s locker number and combination
- Purchasing uniform shirts and sweatshirts
- Purchasing the required Case IT that includes a binder and basic school supplies
- Signing up for ParentVue to access information on your child’s grades throughout the school year
- Meeting your child’s teachers
- Signing the required breakfast/lunch forms
- Completing the required electronic forms that allow your child to receive his/her personal District computer. You may complete this form from home by clicking on this link: https://permission.click/wOqNJ/us#/information
Here is additional information regarding school uniforms and school supplies.
CA Uniform: All Columbia Academy students are required to come to school in their CA uniform. The standard CA uniform is our polo shirt with the CA Logo and Khaki brown or navy pants. As part of the uniform, students are also required to carry the standard CA Case-IT which will include a protected pocket for their computer, a binder, planner, and basic school supplies including paper and pencils.
- CA Uniform short sleeve polo shirt (required): $12 (Purchase at CA.).
- Khaki brown or navy pants (required): Purchase at Target, Walmart, or Savers. (No jeans, jeggings, or sweat pants.).
- CA Case-IT binder which Includes planner, binder, paper, and pencils (required): $25 (Purchase at CA.)
- Please note: Students may wear uniforms from previous years. They may also continue to use last year’s Case-IT if it is still in good shape. Students who do use last year’s Case-IT will be charged $5 for the new 2019-2020 planner and school supplies. Please do not purchase a Case-IT elsewhere since some will not protect their CA computer--a vital reason for having the Case-IT.
Other Required Items: Please have your child bring the following on the first day of school:
- One box of pencils
- One box of Kleenex
- One pack of loose leaf 8.5 x 11 inch paper
- Please note: You do not need to buy a calculator for your child. Calculators will be provided by the school.
Columbia Academy will also have an orientation for all incoming 6th graders on Thursday, August 22, from 9:00 am - 11:30 am. This is a chance for 6th graders to meet our 8th grade WEB (Where Everyone Belongs) Leaders and find out how things work at Columbia Academy. It is a fun and information filled event and we encourage all 6th graders to attend!
We encourage 7th and 8th graders to consider signing up for fall athletics. Opportunities include bowling, girls tennis, swimming, volleyball, and soccer for girls and football and soccer for boys. Here is the link to register your child for a sport: https://2015a.cf.wordwareinc.com/?p=2300
Columbia Academy is also offering several opportunities for parents to purchase uniforms in advance of the school year on August 8 from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm, as well as Tuesday and Thursday, August 13 and August 15, from 8 am to 2 pm. This is a chance to beat the long lines of Open House! Uniforms can also be purchased at Embroidery and More which is located at 808 40th Avenue NE, Columbia Heights.
Finally, 49th avenue is currently under major construction. We anticipate that this road project will be complete by the start of the school year. If not, we will update you with parking information.
Thank you for making note of these important dates in August and the first day of school on Tuesday, September 3. We look forward to seeing you soon and to a great school year at Columbia Academy. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have at 763-528-4700. Thank you for being part of the Columbia Academy team!
All the best,
Columbia Academy Leadership
Columbia Academy consists of a community of learners where every student knows they belong and each student helps to create a culture of academics. Our school is serious about academics including the arts; we like to say we have our heads in academics and our hearts in the arts! With strong core academics and vibrant performing and visual arts programs, we are part of the Columbia Heights Public Schools mission to provide worlds of opportunity for all students.
The middle years are an amazing time of development for our children. Adolescent brains grow rapidly just as students are changing quickly in their physical appearance and their sense of independence. We know it is essential that we work to support the whole child in middle school with the many social/emotional, physical, and intellectual changes that occur at this age. We stress three things as we provide this support to all students: First, that every child belongs to our Columbia Academy team; Second, that together we can RISE UP by paying attention to our core values of respect, integrity, strength, excellence, understanding and pride; Third, that our school will be defined as having a strong culture of academics where we believe in ourselves and the power of persistent effort to learn.
Columbia Academy encourages students to participate in our after school activities including our excellent theater and robotics programs open to all grade levels. Grades 7 and 8 have many athletic activities our students can join throughout the school year. After school academic services are also available for students through Targeted Services. Leadership opportunities are available for all grades in Student Council and for 8th graders through the Where Everyone Belongs (WEB) program that helps welcome new students to our school.
Columbia Academy has high expectations for academics and behavior because we know our students have the capacity to do great things. We believe in our students and help our students learn to believe in themselves as they develop skills that will prepare them for success in high school, college, and career. We are Columbia Academy and together we RISE UP!