Welcome to the Food Services department. Columbia Heights Public Schools provide students with access to a variety of foods that meet the health and nutritional needs of our students. We serve foods that meet state and federal requirements, which are based on the USDA Dietary Guidelines.
Educational Benefits (Free and Reduced Lunch)
Columbia Heights Public Schools provides a healthy breakfast and lunch to students each day. For the 2021-22 school year the United States Department of Agriculture is allowing schools to provide all meals to all students at no cost to families. No application is required to receive this free meal benefit.
However, families should still complete this application to receive other benefits:
- Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) (a federal temporary emergency nutrition benefit that is loaded onto electronic cards for families to purchase food)
- Reduced rates for middle and high school activities
- Compensatory funds for the District to reduce class sizes, provide counseling and social work services, and hire media specialists and educational assistants
- Reduced tuition and/or scholarships for early childhood programming
- Reduced AP testing and college application fees
- Title 1 funds for the District for academic support
School Meal Requirements
Proper nutrition affects students' academic performance as well as their health, so healthy meals play an important role in public schools. Students in Columbia Heights Public Schools can enjoy well-balanced meals at breakfast and lunch every school day.
Enjoy your meals!
What must they contain?
A student must take three full components (as listed on the attachment). One MUST be a ½ cup fruit or vegetable or a combination of fruit/vegetable. They may take up to all five components:
- Meat or Meat Alternate
Where do students or families access the menus?
Our school lunch menus are all available online.
How do you apply for free/reduced price lunch?
Families can apply online or by filling out and returning a hard copy form. Forms are available at all schools and the Placement Center.
Who can families contact with questions at the school or district level about food or accounts?
Parents can contact their school's kitchen manager with any questions regarding meals or accounts.