American Rescue Plan Act
The American Rescue Plan Act (ARP) was signed into law on March 11, 2021 and focuses on returning to, and maintaining, safe in-person learning for all students.
The ARP includes $1.3 billion for E-12 education in ESSER funds for Minnesota to help schools returning to, and maintaining, safe in-person learning for all students. Per the federal law, 90% of these funds have been allocated to eligible districts and charter schools. 9.5% of these funds are for flexible use by each state education agency to create a plan to meet the needs of students. As a result, we are asking for feedback and input on how the 9.5% could be used. The public comment period ended 4 p.m. Monday, June 21.
On May 18, 2021, Governor Walz announced that he will use flexible federal ARP dollars for programming that will support academic enrichment and mental health starting in summer 2021 for students, families, educators, communities and schools. These funds are separate from Minnesota’s $1.3 billion in ESSER funds under the ARP and are not a part of the public comment period.
Total ARP allocation to Columbia Heights Public Schools is: $5,959,991.15
Safe Return to In-Person Learning Plan
The District’s Safe Return to In-Person Learning Plan will be updated following the guidance of the Minnesota Safe Learning Plan, all executive orders, and current guidance from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), Minnesota Department of Education (MDE), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
Columbia Heights Public Schools is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment. This operational plan identifies practices and protocols to help ensure a safe and healthy learning environment and to help mitigate the transmission of COVID-19.
Heighten Up Goals (ESSER III in CHPS)
1) Academic Acceleration
- Robust summer programming
- Additional reading intervention
- Additional instructional coaches
- Support technology integration
2) Social Emotional/Mental Health Support
- Additional School Psychologists
- More direct student service time for Social Workers
- Enhanced training and updated physical space to foster mental health
3) Parent/Family Engagement
- Parent training
- Columbia Academy Liaison
- Building monitors
4) Upgrade Facilities
- Indoor Air Quality HVAC projects
- April 16, 2021: Notified by MDE of district’s allocation
- April 27, 2021 School Board Meeting
- May 3, 2021 Finance Committee Meeting
- May 13, 2021 World’s Best Workforce Meeting
- June 22, 2021 School Board Meeting
- 2021-22: Planning for ESSER III spending
- 2022-2024: Budgeting and spending of ESSER III funds