September 8, 2015 Regular Business Meeting
Director of Communications Casey Mahon (left) with School Board Chair John Larkin at the Sept. 8, 2015 Regular Business Meeting.The School Board honored the Communications Department for receiving three international awards from the National School Public Relations Association (NSPRA). The District department earned an Award of Excellence for the 2014-2015 Calendar, an Award of Merit for comprehensive branding and an Award of Honorable Mention for the 2014 World's Best Work Force Annual Report. NSPRA is a professional organization dedicated to building support and trust for education through responsible public relations that leads to success for all students. Communication to the Board
Superintendent Kathy Kelly reported that emails have been received regarding a complaint against a Columbia Heights School Board member. The School Board will meet in a Special Called Meeting, 5:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 15, in accordance with Minnesota Statute 13D.04 Sub. 2, to address the issue. Click here for agenda.
Discussion, Reports, Information Items
Chair Larkin welcomed all employees at Convocation. School Board Directors Ted Landwehr (left)
Grant Nichols and Molly Lewis attended the Convocation and All-Staff Picnic.
- Vice Chair Ted Landwehr attended the Convocation and All-Staff Picnic, participated with Superintendent Kelly in a School Board Chair's meeting, attended the Chamber of Commerce breakfast for new teachers, a Columbia Heights' Business Council breakfast meeting at Valley View Elementary School and participated in a West Metro Education Program executive meeting.
- Treasurer Molly Lewis attended the new employee orientation, the Convocation and All-Staff Picnic, Columbia Academy and Highland Elementary School open houses and several junior and varsity football games.
- Clerk Laura Palmer participated in a NE Metro Intermediate District 916 Board meeting.
- Director Grant Nichols attended the Convocation and All-Staff Picnic, had discussions with other School Board directors and attended a high school football game.
Columbia Heights Police Department Records Technician Ramon Gomez, Nicole Herje (center) and CHPD Office Manager Karen Olson fill backpacks with bags of food May 1, as part of the Sheridan Story Project.
Bonnie Lohman (far right) teaches Mini-Adventure students how to garden.Agriculture Education: Director Stuenkel and Agriculture Specialist Bonnie Lohman presented information on the Districtwide agriculture education program. The two shared examples of how classes from early childhood through high school are tying lessons in the garden to curriculum (second photo). The presentation also included information about “Topics in Food and Natural Resources,” the new seminars at Columbia Heights High School on agriculture education and careers. Click here for their PowerPoint presentation.
In accordance with Minn. Stat. §13D.03, the School Board met in Closed Session to discuss negotiations strategy.
Constitution Week: The School Board adopted a resolution stating that Columbia Heights Public Schools will celebrate the week of September 17th through 23rd, 2015 as Constitution Week.
Employee Handbook: The School Board approved the 2015-2016 Employee Handbook. Director of Human Resources Lindsey Bennett provided the School Board an overview at the August 25, 2015 Business Meeting.
Appointment of School Board representatives: The School Board approved the following appointments of School Board representatives to standing committees due to the resignation of former-Director Lori Meyer. These temporary appointments will stay in effect until a new School Board Director takes the oath of office this coming January:
- Sept. 15, Tuesday, 5 p.m., Listening Session, Family Center
- Sept. 15, Tuesday, 5:30 p.m., Special Meeting, School Board Work Session immediately following, Community Room
- Sept. 22, Tuesday, 5 p.m. School Board Special Election filing closes
- Sept. 22, Tuesday, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Oct. 13, Tuesday, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
School Board standing committee assignments Vice Chair Ted Landwehr
Minnesota School Board Association
West Metro Education Program
Liaison to Valley View ES
Association of Metropolitan School Districts
Liaison to City of Hilltop
Liaison to Family Center
Treasurer Molly Lewis
Minnesota State High School League
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Liaison to Columbia Heights HS
Director Grant Nichols
Educational Services Cooperative Unit
Liaison to City of Columbia Heights
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Liaison to Columbia Academy