Oct. 27, 2015 Regular Business Meeting
Communication to the Board
One individual addressed the School Board regarding her concerns on community involvement for the former Castle Heights' site.
Acknowledgement of Contributions
Chair John Larkin announced, and the School Board approved, a resolution for accepting current contributions in the amount of $11,529. The total fiscal year 2015-2016 monetary contributions to date are $16,447.19.
Discussion, Reports, Information Items
Click on any picture to expand Shirley Barnes, Executive Director of Crest View Senior Communities and Superintendent Kelly at this year's CHHS Scholarship Foundation dinner.
The Hylanders line-up on offense during this year's Homecoming game, which once again included fireworks and more.
John Larkin, Class of 1978 and Mandi Rundle Ellingson, Class of 1994, were inducted into the CHHS Hall of Fame prior to this year's homecoming game Department of Justice COPS Director Ronald Davis presented the national Sutin Award to Superintendent Kathy Kelly and Police Chief Scott Nadeau.
- Vice Chair Ted Landwehr participated in the Oct. 13th School Board Business Meeting, the Oct. 20th Work Session, the CHHS Scholarship Foundation dinner, attended the Minnesota School Board Association (MSBA) Superintendent Evaluation Workshop, a West Metro Education Program (WEMP) presentation and the Muslim Voices community event. Vice Chair Landwehr also attended the School Board Chair meeting and had conversations with community members.
- Treasurer Molly Lewis participated in the Oct. 13th School Board Business Meeting and the Oct. 20th Work Session, attended the CHHS Scholarship Foundation dinner and the CHHS Hall of Fame induction. She also attended a Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) event and CHHS Homecoming and Varsity, Junior Varsity and Columbia Academy football, Striker and volleyball games. Director Lewis also met with Superintendent Kelly, members of the School Board and had conversations with community members.
- Clerk Laura Palmer participated in the Oct. 13th School Board Business Meeting and the Oct. 20th Work Session and gave a brief update on NE Metro Intermediate District 916.
- Superintendent Kathy Kelly participated in the Oct. 13th School Board Business Meeting, the Oct. 20th Work Session, attended the CHHS Scholarship Foundation dinner, met with financial auditors, attended the new School Board candidate orientation, met with representatives from Anoka Ramsey Community College on changes in credentialing, had a facilities walk-through on current and upcoming facility and technology projects and met with Director of Finance and Operations Bill Holmgren on budgeting. She attended the TIES annual meeting and a WMEP meeting with Interim Director of Teaching and Learning Zena Stenvik and North Park Elementary School Jeff Cacek. Superintendent Kelly is helping two staff members who are working on their superintendent's license. She and Election Clerk Dawn Hoium met with a representative from Anoka County on the process for a second School Board special election (see below). Superintendent Kelly also had conversations with members of the School Board.
The former Castle Heights site. Plans are to keep the tower (center) from the original playground. The two new playgrounds include seating and trees.
Dan Laskowski, Social Studies teacher at Columbia Academy, taught a reading class as part of summer programming.
Opening of Highland Elementary School wrap-up: Principal Michele DeWitt gave an update on the beginning of the school year at Highland Elementary School.
Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
Click here for Principal DeWitt's PowerPoint presentation.
- Enrollment Data
- Demographic Data
- Achievement Data
- Implementation Data
- Focus area updates: Programs and strategies
- Outreach: Parents and community
- Looking ahead: Goals and planning
ELECTION TIMELINE DATE Resolution declaring vacancy Oct. 27, 2015 First day for candidates
Dec. 1 Last day for candidate filing Dec. 15 Last day for candidates
Dec. 17 Special Primary Election Feb. 9, 2016 Special Election April 5
Resolution for Special Election: The School Board approved a resolution for a Special Election to fill the vacancy created with the resignation of former Director Grant Nichols. The Special Primary Election will be Feb. 9, 2016 with the Special Election scheduled for April 5, 2016. See the timeline of key dates at right.
Superintendent's 2015-2016 Goals: The School Board approved Superintendent Kathy Kelly's goals relating to American Indian education and developing a performing arts space in the School District.
In accordance with Minn. Stat. §13D.03, the School Board met in closed session for the item on the agenda for the purpose of discussing negotiations strategy
- Nov. 9, No School, Grading Day
- Nov. 10, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Nov. 17, 5 p.m. School Board Listening Session, Family Center
- Nov. 17, 5:30 p.m. School Board Work Session, Community Room
- Nov. 24, 7 p.m. Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Nov. 26 & 27 No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Dec. 1, School Board Special Election Primary
School Board standing committee assignments Vice Chair Ted Landwehr
Minnesota School Board Association
West Metro Education Program
Association of Metropolitan School Districts
Liaison to Valley View ES
Liaison to City of Hilltop
Treasurer Molly Lewis
Minnesota State High School League
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Liaison to Columbia Heights HS
Liaison to Family Center
Educational Services Cooperative Unit
Liaison to City of Columbia Heights
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Liaison to Columbia Academy