Nov. 24, 2015 Regular Business Meeting
Communication to the Board
One individual addressed the School Board regarding next steps for the former Castle Heights site.
Acknowledgement of Contributions
Chair John Larkin announced, and the School Board approved, a resolution for accepting current contributions in the amount of $2,730.00. The total fiscal year 2015-2016 monetary contributions to date are $12,207.19.
Discussion, Reports, Information Items
Strikers' Goalie Tyler Krawczynski was selected to the All-Tournament Team.
Click here for more information.
- Vice Chair Ted Landwehr participated in the Nov. 17 Work Session, the School Board Chair Meeting and a Closed Session, reported on a West Metro Education Program (WMEP) meeting and attended the Nov. 20 Strikers state tournament game.
- Treasurer Molly Lewis participated in the Nov. 17 Work Session, attended the Highland Elementary School Turkey Bingo Night, the Strikers Pep Fest followed by the team's state tournament games.
- Clerk Laura Palmer participated in the Nov. 17 Work Session, the Closed Session and had a tour of the NorthEast Metro Intermediate District 916 Karner Blue facility.
- Superintendent Kathy Kelly participated in the Nov. 17 Work Session and the Nov. 24 School Board Chair Meeting. She participated in WMEP Joint Powers, WMEP Superintendent's Planning and WMEP Superintendent meetings and attended a District Family Engagement Night. Superintendent Kelly met with Interim Director of Teaching and Learning Zena Stenvik on curriculum review and shared the District Administrative Team met to discuss the District focus of American Indian Education. She met with Association of Metropolitan School Districts (AMSD) Executive Director Scott Croonquist; they plan to meet with the Executive Director of the Minnesota School Board Association (MSBA) to discuss the issue of special elections. Superintendent Kelly gave special recognition to those involved at CHHS for the fall play "Almost, Maine" and congratulated everyone who supported the Strikers state tournament games, including Director of Student Services Nicole Halabi who originated the idea of an adaptive soccer team approximately five years ago. The Superintendent also reported she had conversations with various School Board members.
Click here for Principal Berkas' PowerPoint presentation.
- Enrollment data
- Demographic data
- Achievement data
- Implementation data
- Focus area updates: Programs and strategies
- Outreach: Parents and community
- Looking ahead: Goals and planning
New/Suspended Courses for 2016-2017: Interim Director Stenvik and Columbia Heights High School Principal Dan Wrobleski provided a list of proposed new and suspended courses for the 2016-2017 school year. The following are the proposals:
Proposed New Courses Level Proposed Suspended Courses Level Music Appreciation High Basic Home Wiring High Dynamix Ensemble High Sports Entertainment Marketing High Introduction to Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Careers High A+ Computer Technology A&B High College Readiness Support High Sales, Marketing and Promotions High Online Physical Education for Student Athletes High Minnesota Outdoor Science Connection Course (Pilot) High Math, English, Social Studies, Science 8th Grade Honors Courses Middle Elementary Media Arts (Pilot) ElementaryFor more specifics, click here for the PowerPoint presentation. A request for action will be brought to an upcoming Business Meeting.
Heights Lites: Interim Director Stenvik provided, with input from a high school journalism class, a recommendation to change the name of the School Board recognition program to Hylander Highlights. This recommendation is based on a previous School Board Work Session where Directors requested a name change.
A request for action will be brought to an upcoming Business Meeting.
Board Organizational Meeting: Chair Larkin and Superintendent Kelly provided information on the process for the annual Organizational Meeting (Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2016) based on Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised 10th Edition.
Board Book renewal: The School Board approved the annual renewal of the online meeting resource.
Castle Heights: The School Board, after discussion at the Nov. 17 Work Session, narrowed the suggestions collected from the community for the former Castle Heights site (a portion seen in the photo at right). The School Board is charging a new "Bridge Team" with developing a plan for the site, with parameters being a connection with or expansion of the Blooming Heights outdoor educational garden, an outdoor classroom and/or a performance space/outdoor theater. The School Board is open to the inclusion of pollinator or other gardens, benches, shaded areas for sitting, buddy benches and/or sponsored bricks. The School Board also noted all costs will be fundraised with collaborative partners (no district funds incurred and that the plan fo the site should require minimal maintenance). The School Board approved the three suggestions to present to the Bridge Team.
Director Employment agreements: The School Board approved three-year employment agreements for District Directors, beginning with the 2015-2016 school year.
District Center non-affiliated positions: The School Board approved salary increases for the 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 school years for District managers, liaisons, generalists/specialists and network administrators, accountant facilitators, technicians and systems support coordinators, Deans of Students and the Activities Director.
Executive Assistant to the Superintendent and Board of Education employment agreement: The School Board approved a three-year employment agreement, beginning with the 2015-2016 school year, for the Executive Assistant to the Superintendent and Board of Education.
Audit Report: The School Board accepted and approved the 2015 financial audit (click here for report; click here for the news release).
n the School Board Policy Sub Comm
- Nov. 26 & 27, No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Dec. 1, School Board Special Election 1 Primary
- Dec. 8, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Dec. 24 to Jan. 4, No school, Winter Break
School Board standing committee assignments Vice Chair Ted Landwehr
Minnesota School Board Association
West Metro Education Program
Association of Metropolitan School Districts
Liaison to Valley View ES
Treasurer Molly Lewis
Minnesota State High School League
Liaison to City of Columbia Heights
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Liaison to Columbia Heights HS
Liaison to Family Center
Liaison to Columbia Academy
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Educational Services Cooperative Unit