Nov. 10, 2015 Regular Business Meeting
Discussion, Reports, Information Items
Four of the six candidates for the open School Board seat vacated when former Director Lori Meyer resigned participate in a Candidate Forum, Monday, Nov. 9, 2015. Click above to watch it on the CHPS YouTube channel.
Tenured Teacher recognition: The following licensed faculty were introduced and recognized for achieving tenure status in the District as of July 1, 2015:
- Vice Chair Ted Landwehr attended the School Board Candidate Forum, participated and reported out on West Metro Education Program Executive Committee, Joint Powers Board and Association of Metropolitan School Districts meetings. He also attended a School Law conference, a Chamber of Commerce meeting and will be attending the Minnesota School Board Association Pre-Delegate Assembly.
- Treasurer Molly Lewis attended the School Board Candidate Forum, a unified bullying event at Columbia Academy, a Parent Advisory Council for Special Education meeting and attended high school conferences. She also went, with North Park Elementary School teacher Coleman Nemerov, on a home visit and watched the Strikers adaptive soccer team playoff victory.
- Clerk Laura Palmer participated in a NE Metro Intermediate District 916 Board Meeting.
- Superintendent Kathy Kelly attended the School Board Candidate Forum and, with Highland Elementary School Principal Michelle DeWitt and Director of Community Education Kristen Stuenkel, participated in a Pre-K Principal's Early Learning Series focused on early learning. She attended the Columbia Heights High School National Honor Society induction ceremony, met with the District team on architectural and future facilities planning and separately the District Negotiation's Team. She met with legislators representing CHPS on issues affecting this District. Superintendent Kelly reported that the E-12 first round of non-tenured teacher evaluations took place; she also attended AMSD Board of Directors and WMEP Superintendent Advisory meetings. She also met and talked with various School Board members.
North Park Elementary School
Valley View Elementary School
North Park Elementary School
Dan Laskowski Columbia Academy Christine McCarthy
Highland Elementary School
Dan Ronchak Columbia Heights High School Isabel Rowles
Highland Elementary School
Columbia Academy/North Park Elementary School
Advanced Placement (AP) and ACT: Interim Director Stenvik and Principal Wrobleski briefed the School Board on the 2015 AP and ACT results for CHHS students. Principal Wrobleski reported that 186 CHHS students, up from 101 the previous year, took the ACT test. For Advanced Placement, 233 students took the test, up from 164 the previous year. Click here for their PowerPoint presentation that provides additional details.
Click here for Principal Wrobleski's PowerPoint presentation.
- Enrollment data
- Demographic data
- Achievement data
- Implementation data
- Focus area updates: Programs and strategies
- Outreach: Parents and community
- Looking ahead: Goals and planning
Summer Program: Director of Student Services Nicole Halabi, Interim Director Stenvik and Director of Community Education Kristen Stuenkel provided data on CHPS summer 2015 programs, including Bridges to Kindergarten, elementary, middle and high school levels. Click here for their PowerPoint presentation.
Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) financial reporting: Director Holmgren provided the GASB financial report, which includes information on Teacher's Retirement Association (TRA) and Public Employee Retirement Association (PERA). The primary objective of GASB is to improve accounting and financial reporting by state and local governments, including school districts, for pensions. Statement No. 68, Accounting and Financial Reporting for Pensions, establishes accounting and financial reporting requirements for governments that provide their employees with pensions. Click here for Director Holmgren's PowerPoint presentation.
Teacher's contract: The School Board approved an agreement between the School District and Columbia Heights Federation of Teachers Local 710 covering the school years 2015-2016 and 2016-2017.
Resolution for Special Election Judges: The School approved a resolution for Special Election Judges for the vacant seats created with the resignation of former Directors Lori Meyer and Grant Nichols.
Appointment of School Board representatives: The School Board approved appointments to standing committees due to the resignation of former Director Nichols (see assignments at the bottom of this page), with the exception of the Educational Services Cooperative Unit, which will be addressed at the January 2016 Organizational Meeting. The School Board agreed not to appoint a member for the Sub Committee on Policy until a date to be determined in 2016.and the School Board Policy Sub Committee
In accordance with Minn. Stat. §13D.03, the School Board met in closed session for the purpose of discussing negotiations strategy.
- Nov. 17, 5 p.m. School Board Listening Session, Family Center
- Nov. 17, 5:30 p.m. School Board Work Session, Community Room
- Nov. 24, 7 p.m. Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Nov. 26 & 27, No School - Thanksgiving Holiday
- Dec. 1, School Board Special Election Primary
- Dec. 8, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
School Board standing committee assignments Vice Chair Ted Landwehr
Minnesota School Board Association
West Metro Education Program
Association of Metropolitan School Districts
Liaison to Valley View ES
Treasurer Molly Lewis
Minnesota State High School League
Liaison to City of Columbia Heights
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Liaison to Columbia Heights HS
Liaison to Family Center
Liaison to Columbia Academy