May 10, 2016 Regular Business Meeting
| Discussion, Reports, Information Items
Chair John Larkin participated in the April 26, 2016 School Board Business Meeting and the May 10 School Board Policy Sub-Committee and Chair meetings. He also attended the Career Celebration retirement dinner (photos at right), the Columbia Heights Mayor's Prayer Breakfast and the Columbia Heights High School (CHHS) Grease musical (pictures below right) and a band concert. Chair Larkin also summarized the Columbia Heights All-American City planning and fundraising efforts for the June 16 through 20 trip to Denver, CO. (below right flyer).
- Vice Chair Laura Palmer participated in the April 26 Business Meeting and a NE Metro Intermediate District 916 Board meeting. Director Palmer also attended the Career Celebration Dinner.
- Treasurer Molly Lewis participated in the April 26 Business Meeting, attended the Career Celebration and 50th Annual Boosters dinners, a Parent Teacher Conference at CHHS and the Highland Elementary School Ice Cream and Books event. She also had conversations with parents and community members and attended several school sporting events.
Clerk Ted Landwehr participated in the April 26 Business Meeting and West Metro Education Program (WMEP) Executive Committee and Finance Committee meetings. He attended the Career Celebration and the 50th Annual Boosters dinners, the Columbia Heights Mayor's Prayer Breakfast and the Valley View Elementary School Fun Run. Director Landwehr also had a conversation with Director Naty Severson and met with parents and community members.
- Director Naty Severson participated in the April 26 Business Meeting, attended the Career Celebration and Boosters dinners and the Columbia Heights Mayor's Prayer Breakfast. She also participated in the School Board Policy Sub-Committee and attended school sporting events.
- Director Hala Asamarai participated in the April 26 School Board Meeting, attended the CHHS Parent Teacher Conferences.
- Superintendent Kathy Kelly participated in the April 26 School Board Meeting and the May 10 School Board Policy Sub-Committee and Chair meetings. She attended the Minnesota Department of Education PreK-3 Leadership Series and met with North Suburban superintendents on post-secondary success. Superintendent Kelly shared she participated in an all-school assembly (CHHS) addressing safety issues. She attended the Career Celebration dinner, the Columbia Heights Mayor's Prayer Breakfast and the high school's Grease musical. She also summarized planning for the Columbia Heights All-American City submission, noted two fundraisers and that student singers will be among those attending the main event in Denver, CO. Superintendent Kelly also talked with School Board Directors.
Paula Forbes (Forbes Solutions, PLLC) and Nell Mathews (Mathles Law PLLC) provided a comprehensive overview of the Alejandro Cruz-Guzman, et. al. v State of Minnesota et. al desegregation lawsuit. Click here for their PowerPoint presentation.
Director of Community Education Kristen Stuenkel and Director of Student Services Nicole Halabi provided an annual update and overview of early childhood programs, including Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE, photos at right), Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE), Pre-K, Home Visiting and Early Childhood Screening. Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
Community Education Adventure Club/
Mini Adventure Club Fees
Director Stuenkel and Director of Finance and Operations Bill Holmgren requested the School Board support Community Education’s Adventure Club and Mini Adventures program’s increased participation fees of between 2.5 and three percent for 2016-2017. The directors said the increase is necessary to cover payroll and benefit costs for program staff.
Overnight and Out-of-State Field Trips
Interim Director of Teaching and Learning Zena Stenvik, Columbia Academy Principal Duane Berkas and Columbia Heights High School Principal Dan Wrobleski provided an overview of possible future overnight and out-of-state field trips. Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
Discontinuance or Reduction of Programs and Positions for 2015-2016: The School Board adopted a resolution directing the Superintendent and Administration to consider the discontinuance and curtailment of programs and positions or curtailment of positions, to effectuate economies and efficiencies in CHPS and to reduce expenditures as necessary. In accordance with the resolution, the School Board approved a resolution for the discontinuance or reduction of programs and positions for the 2016-2017 school year. This topic was first addressed at the Dec. 8, 2015 and Jan. 12, 2016 School Board meetings and the April 26, 2016 Work Session.
||Transportation of Public School Students
||Health and Safety
||Waste Reduction and Recycling
Termination of Probationary Teacher Contracts: The School Board adopted a resolution directing the Superintendent and Administration to consider the discontinuance of programs and positions to effectuate economies and efficiencies and to reduce expenditures as necessary. Pursuant to MINN. Stat. §122A.40, Subd 5, the School Board adopted a resolution to terminate and non-renew employment contracts of those probationary teachers.
Termination of programs and positions: The School Board approved the adoption of a resolution to terminate certain programs and positions for the 2016-2017 school year.
- May 17, Filing for School Board setas open
- May 17, 5 p.m., School Board Listening Session, Family Center
- May 17, 5:30 p.m., School Board Work Session, Community Room
- May 24, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- May 30, Holiday, no school, all District offices and services closed
- May 31, Filing for School Board seats close
- June 3, Last day of school for students
- June 3, 7 p.m., Class of 2016 Graduation, Columbia Heights High School stadium
- June 14, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
Do you have questions or comments? Click here
| 2016-2017 School Board committee assignments