March 8, 2016 Regular Business Meeting
| Acknowledgement of Contributions
Chair John Larkin announced, and the School Board approved, a resolution for accepting current contributions in the amount of $5,322.97. The total fiscal year 2015-2016 monetary contributions to date are $58,945.
| Discussion, Reports, Information Items
Chair John Larkin participated in the parent conferences at Columbia Academy, attended an Association of Metropolitan School Districts meeting and the Columbia Academy choir concert.
|Swimmers Sam Stockwell, William Cooke, Marcos Ferreira and Ben Bardell competed in the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) state competition in the relay; Bardell also competed in the diving competition.
|Wrestlers Dylan Lentz, Jefferson Paladines and Mohamed Hegazi competed in the MSHSL state competition.
- Vice Chair Laura Palmer participated in the March 8 School Board Chair meeting and attended parent conferences at Columbia Academy.
Treasurer Molly Lewis attended parent conferences at Columbia Academy, a girls' basketball game and had conversations with community members and parents.
- Clerk Ted Landwehr participated in the Feb. 16 School Board Meeting, attended West Metro Education Program (WMEP) Executive Committee and Finance meetings, a MetroNorth Chamber Business Council meeting and a Valley View PTO meeting.
- Director Naty Severson met with Superintendent Kathy Kelly and District Directors for a new School Board member orientation. She also attended parent conferences at Columbia Academy and Destination Imagination events where Highland and North Park elementary school students participated.
- Superintendent Kathy Kelly reported that District and building-level administrators continue working on staffing and thanked Director Severson for participating in the new School Board member orientation. Superintendent Kelly also attended a meeting on the desegregation lawsuit and a WEMP Superintendent's meeting. She also attended the AMSD meeting with Chair Larkin and had multiple contacts with community members.
High School Graduation Rates
Interim Director of Teaching and Learning Zena Stenvik and Columbia Heights High School (CHPS) Principal Dan Wrobleski shared that analysis of 2014-2015 CHPS graduation rates show an overall increase of 7.2 percent for last year's Columbia Heights High School (CHHS) graduating class.
|CHHS 2014 to 2015
||CHHS Compared to State
|Free & Reduced
|Asian and Pacific Islanders - not measured in 2014 as numbers did not meet the minimum student population threshold established by the Minnesota Department of Education - had a 93.3 percent graduation rate. American Indian students were also not evaluated in 2014-2015 for not meeting the MDE threshold. When comparing 2015 CHPS to state results, the District graduated 83.2 percent of the class of 2015 to the state average of 81.9 percent.
2016-2017 School Calendar
The School Board approved (this item was presented at the Feb. 23, 2016 Business Meeting). Click here for news release.
Achievement and Integration Budget
The School Board approved the A&I Budget. (this item was presented at the Feb. 23, 2016 Business Meeting)
Teacher/ECFE Teacher Seniority Lists
According to the Teachers’ Master Agreement, seniority lists must be updated each year. The School Board approved both lists.
According to their Master Agreements, the seniority list for Education Assistant, Lunch Duty Monitor, Custodial, Clerical and Food Service employees must be updated each year. A copy of the list that School Board members received in their packets has been circulated to Education Assistant, Lunch Duty Monitor, Custodial, Clerical, and Food Service employees. The School Board approved each of the lists.
- March 15, 5 p.m., School Board Listening Session, Family Center
- March 15, 5:30 p.m., School Board Work Session, Community Room
- March 21-25, No school, Spring Break
- April 1, No School, Grading Day
- April 5, School Board Election B
- April 12, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- April 19, 5 p.m., School Board Listening Session, Family Center
- April 19, 5:30 p.m.,, School Board Work Session, Community Room
Do you have questions or comments? Click here.
| 2016-2017 School Board committee assignments