March 15, 2016 School Board Work Session
Director of Technology and Security Services Bryan Hennekens provided an informational presentation in response to a request about PreciouStatus, a teacher, parent digital communication tool (app and web-based). He shared that the tool was piloted, but due to translation capability issues at this time the product is not being used in this District. Director Hennekens also discussed other apps, including Classroom Messenger, Remind 101 and Seesaw. Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
Superintendent Kathy Kelly, Director of Human Resources Lindsey Bennett and Director of Finance and Operations Bill Holmgren discussed administrative staffing throughout the District and at all levels. The Administration is currently addressing staffing for the coming fiscal year. Two staffing resolutions will be brought forward at an upcoming Business Meeting.
Columbia Academy tuckpoint bids
Director Holmgren briefed the School Board that nine bids were received with the lowest being $216,795 from Western Specialty Contractors. This needed structural work (tuckpointing is also referred to as exterior wall rehabilitation, primarily masonry) is aligned with and funded by the Capital Project Levy passed by voters in November 2014. Director Holmgren said work can start as soon as this summer, but School Board approval is required first. Director Holmgren will recommend this bid, which is $107,924 less than the highest bid, at the next Business Meeting.
Walking Distance and Transportation
Director Holmgren shared that there has been some feedback regarding the distance some kindergarten through eighth-grade students walk to school. He noted that the current total bus transportation costs are $3,203,609. Director Holmgren brought to the School Board's attention two governance questions (transportation of kindergarten students and student walking distance). This item will be brought forward at a future Business Meeting.
- March 21-25, No school, Spring Break
- April 1, No School, Grading Day
- April 12, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- April 19, 5 p.m., School Board Listening Session, Family Center
- April 19, 5:30 p.m.,, School Board Work Session, Community Room
- April 26, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- May 10, 5 p.m., Sub-Committee on Policy, Superintendent's Conference Room
- May 10, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- May 17, 5 p.m., School Board Listening Session, Family Center
- May 17, 5:30 p.m., School Board Work Session, Community Room
- May 24, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
| 2016-2017 School Board committee assignments