July 21, 2015 Regular Business Meeting
In accordance with Minn. Stat. §13D.03, the School Board met in closed session to discuss negotiations strategy.
Discussion, Reports, Information Items
- Vice-Chair Ted Landwehr was not present.
- Clerk Lori Meyer had no report.
- Treasurer Molly Lewis participated in the Jamboree Parade (photos at right) and Castle Heights Community Conversation.
- Director Laura Palmer participated in the Jamboree Parade, met with Superintendent Kelly and State Rep. Carolyn Laine.
- Director Grant Nichols participated in the Jamboree Parade and the Castle Heights Community Conversation.
Superintendent Kathy Kelly's report
Click here to submit a suggestion for the future of the Castle Heights' site.
- Thanked everyone, especially the Columbia Heights Lions Club, for the success of the Jamboree Parade.
- Shared that an educator she mentored has completed her internship.
- Reported she had a meeting on personnel issues with the Columbia Academy leadership team and staff members.
- Met with Columbia Heights High School students to discuss the Castle Heights site and potential gymnastics space.
- Attended multiple meetings with School Board directors.
Homeless Transportation: Director Holmgren provided an update to the School Board. He shared that transportation for the homeless has increased since 2007. The District is in the process of accepting quotes for this contract and four were received. Of the four, there is a $234,310 difference between the highest and lowest bids. This agenda item will be brought forward at an upcoming Business Meeting as an Action Item for recommended approval. Click here for his PowerPoint presentation.
Strategic Direction D: Director of Human Resources Lindsey Bennett (bottom right) provided the annual update on Strategic Direction D, which "acknowledges and addresses tensions and opportunities for employment and partnership between employees." Click here for her PowerPoint presentation.
School Board Budget: Director Holmgren provided an update on the School Board's 2015-2016 budget. Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
School Board Policies - Second Reading: The School Board approved the following policies, which were previously presented at the June 23, 2015 meeting:
From left: School Board Directors Molly Lewis, Lori Meyer, John Larkin, Laura Palmer, Grant Nichols and Superintendent Kathy Kelly (click to expand).
Metro ECSU membership: The School Board approved the Metro Educational Cooperative Services Unit membership for 2015-2016.
Association of Metropolitan School Districts (AMSD) Membership: The School Board approved the Association of Metropolitan School Districts membership for 2015-2016.
Minnesota School Board Association (MSBA) Membership: The School Board approved the Minnesota School Board Association membership for 2015-2016.
Acceptance of resignation: The School Board approved the resignation of Director Lori Meyer (above right), who is moving outside the District. Click here for the news release.
School Board Topics
Recognition of Superintendent Kelly: Director Meyer congratulated Superintendent Kelly for being nominated for a U.S. Department of Justice award.
Recognition of School Board Service: Chair John Larkin thanked and presented outgoing Director Meyer with a certificate and a memento (see photo) for her two years of service to Columbia Heights Public Schools.
- Aug. 11, Tuesday, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Aug. 18, Tuesday, 5:30 p.m., Work Session, Community Room
- Aug. 25, Tuesday, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Sept. 7, Monday, Labor Day holiday, Columbia Heights Public Schools closed
- Sept. 8, Tuesday, First day of school for students
- Sept. 8, Tuesday, Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
School Board standing committee assignments Vice Chair Ted Landwehr
Minnesota School Board Association
West Metro Education Program
Liaison to Valley View ES
Clerk Lori Meyer
Association of Metropolitan School Districts
Liaison to City of Hilltop
Liaison to Family Center
Treasurer Molly Lewis
Minnesota State High School League
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Liaison to Columbia Heights HS