July 14, 2016 Regular Business Meeting
| Discussion, Reports, Information Items
- Chair John Larkin led the May 24, 2016 Regular Business Meeting. He attended Columbia Academy's 8th-grade celebration, the Boys' State Tennis Tournament (photos on right) and the Class of 2016 Commencement Ceremony. He also attended the 2016 Spotlight Showcase at the State Theatre to support Columbia Heights High School (CHHS) performers. Larkin had several meetings with Superintendent Kathy Kelly and constituents, and attended the School Board Chair and Policy Sub-Committee meetings.
- Vice Chair Laura Palmer participated in the May 24, 2016 Regular Business MeetingMay 24 Regular Business Meeting. She attended a band concert at Columbia Academy, the AVID picnic and the Class of 2016 Commencement Ceremony. Palmer also attended a Northeast Metro 916 Board meeting and the School Board Chair and Policy Sub-Committee meetings.
- Treasurer Molly Lewis participated in the May 24, 2016 Regular Business Meeting. She attended the Columbia Academy band concert, finished Varsity track meets for the season and attended the Class of 2016 Commencement Ceremony.
- Clerk Ted Landwehr participated in the May 24, 2016 Regular Business Meeting. He also attended the Class of 2016 Commencement Ceremony and the Valley View PTO picnic.
- Director Naty Severson participated in the May 24, 2016 Regular Business Meeting and attended the Policy Sub-Committee meeting. She attended the Columbia Academy band concert, the 5th-grade track and field day, Columbia Academy's 8th-grade celebration and the Class of 2016 Commencement Ceremony.
- Director Hala Asamarai was not present to report.
- Superintendent Kathy Kelly participated in the May 24, 2016 Regular Business Meeting.She attended the community picnic and splash pad opening, the Administration End-of-the-Year retreat where planning for the 2016-2017 school year began and the Class of 2016 Commencement Ceremony. Kelly attended an organizational negotiations meeting with cooks, custodians, clerical and educational assistants – the School Board will be briefed and a closed session will occur later this month. She also attended the Tri-Metro Governing Board meeting. The Superintendent also attended the School Board Chair and Policy Sub-Committee meetings and met with individual School Board members.
Director of Finance Bill Holmgren and Senior Financial Advisor for Wells Fargo Private Bank Todd Baker presented an update on the performance of OPEB Trust. One October 15, 2009, the School Board established an irrevocable Other Post-Employment (OPEB) Trust to be administered by Wells Fargo. The OPEB Trust is used to pay post-employment benefits to certain eligible employees of the District.
Information on the Consent Agenda
Chair Larkin presented the School Board with information on the Consent Agenda. Larkin read a response/opinion from the School Board’s Attorney Karen P. Kepple about the Consent Agenda and the appropriate role of the School Board.
Northeast Metro District 916 Long-Term Facility Maintenance Levy Allocation
Director Holmgren presented the Long-Term Facility Maintenance Revenue Levy numbers from the Northeast Metro District 916. The amounts outline will be incorporated into the Pay 2018 school levy. The School Board will be asked to take action on this item at its June 28, 2016 Regular Business Meeting. Click here to view the presentation.
Twin Cities North Chamber of Commerce
Director Holmgren presented information on the District’s membership with the Twin Cities North Chamber of Commerce. The annual fee is set to increase from $260 to $415. Holmgren recommended the District continue its membership.
Strategic Direction C: Know and Honor Who We Are to Build Strong Relationships
Director of Student Services Nicole Halabi and Valley View Elementary Principal Willie Fort provided the School Board with an update on the status of the District’s Strategic Direction C. Click here to view the presentation.
Personal Learning InitiativeDirector of Technology and Security Services Bryan Hennekens and Director of Teaching and Learning presented an update on the Personalized Learning Initiative within the District in its current implementation in grades 5-8. Click here to view the presentation.
Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) Grants: Title I, II and III
Director Stenvik shared projected allocations for the Districts 2016-2017 fiscal year for Title I, II and III grants. The School Board will be asked to take action on this item at its June 28, 2016 Regular Business Meeting. Click here to view the presentation.
2016-2017 BudgetThe School Board approved the 2016-2017 budget reviewed at its May 24, 2016 Regular Business Meeting. Click here to view an outline of the budget.
Community Education Adventure Club/Mini Adventures Program FeesThe School Board approved the increase to participation fees for the Columbia Heights Public School’s Adventure Club and Mini Adventures programs presented at the May 24, 2016 Regular Business Meeting. Click here for the presentation.
Castle Heights Bridge Team ConceptThe School Board approved the Bridge Team concept presented by Directors Halabi and Holmgren and Bridge Team Co-Chair Mary-Rose Granlund at the May 17, 2016 Work Session - click here for the presentation. Click here to view a rendering of the project.
Appointment of Board RepresentativesThe School Board approved the following appointments (originally discussed at the May 17, 2016 Work Session):
- Liaison to City of Hilltop: John Larkin
- School Board Policy Sub-Committee: Laura Palmer, John Larkin and Naty Severson.
- Liaison to Columbia Academy (July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016): Naty Severson
- Liaison to Highland Elementary (July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017): Naty Severson
- Liaison to Valley View Elementary (July 1, 2016 - June 30, 2017): Hala Asamarai
- 206 - Public Participation in School Board Meetings
- 208 - Development, Adoption and Implementation of Policies
- 401 - Equal Employment Opportunity
- 402 - Disability Non-Discrimination Policy
- 410 - Family and Medical Leave Policy
- 413 - Harassment and Violence Policy
- 413 - Harassment and Violence Policy Form
- 415 - Mandated Reporting of Maltreatment of Vulnerable Adults
- 416 - Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy
- 416 - Drug and Alcohol Testing Form
- 417 - Chemical Use/Abuse
- 418 - Drug-Free Workplace/Drug-Free School
- 420 - Student and Employees with HIV/AIDS and Certain Other Communicable Diseases and Infectious Conditions
- 613 - Graduation Requirements
- 714 - Fund Balance
- 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 21, School Board Work Session, Community Room
- 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 28, Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Monday, July 4, Holiday, District Offices Closed
- Tuesday, Aug. 9, Election Primary
- Tuesday, Aug. 16, Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
Do you have questions or comments? Click here.
| 2016-2017 School Board committee assignments