Special Called Meeting: Organization of the Board
Election of Chair: Ted Landwehr self-nominated; Molly Lewis nominated John Larken. The School Board voted Mr. Larkin to continue as Chair.
Election of Vice Chair: Molly Lewis nominated Laura Palmer; Ted Landwehr self-nominated. The School Board voted Ms. Palmer to be the new Vice Chair.
Election of Clerk: Ted Landwehr self-nominated; John Larkin nominated Molly Lewis. The School Board voted Mr. Landwehr to be the new Clerk.
Election of Treasurer: Ted Landwehr nominated Molly Lewis; the School Board voted Ms. Lewis to continue as Treasurer.
Appointment of Parliamentarian/Adoption of Robert's Rules of Order: The School Board approved Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, except where modified by School Board policy, as the official rules.Chair Larkin appointed Ted Landwehr as Parliamentarian.
Meeting dates and times: The School Board approved Regular Meetings on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m., with the exception of December and March in which the meeting would be on the second Tuesday, and July when there would be no meetings. The School Board also approved that no new business at Regular Meetings will be taken up after 10:45 p.m. except by unanimous consent of the Board (there will be the option of adding a Work Session). Work Sessions are scheduled the third Tuesday of the month at 5:30 p.m. All School Board meetings are held in the District Community Room. For 2016, due to election day conflicts, the following Regular Business Meetings are rescheduled as noted:
- Jan. 26 changed to Jan. 19
- Feb. 9 changed to Feb. 16
- Aug. 9 changed to Aug. 16
- Nov. 8 changed to Nov. 15
Appointment of School Board representatives: The School Board voted and approved the appointment, effective immediately, of the current four members to the following standing committees:
- Minnesota School Board Association Legislative Liaison: Ted Landwehr
- Educational Cooperative Service Unit: Molly Lewis
- Minnesota State High School League: Molly Lewis
- TIES: Ted Landwehr
- West Metro Education Program: Ted Landwehr
- North East Metro Intermediate District 916 Board: Laura Palmer
- Association of Metropolitan School Districts: John Larkin
- Columbia Heights Business Council: Ted Landwehr
- Liaison to City of Columbia Heights: Molly Lewis
- Liaison to City of Fridley: John Larkin
- Liaison to City of Hilltop: Laura Palmer
- School Board Policy Sub-Committee: Laura Palmer and Molly Lewis and one member to be determined.
School/Program Starting July 1 Highland Elementary School TBD North Park Elementary School John Larkin Valley View Elementary School TBD Columbia Academy Ted Landwehr Columbia Heights High School Molly Lewis Family Center Laura Palmer
Appointment of School Board building liaisons: The School Board approved the appointment of the following members as liaisons for school assignments for the 2016-2017 school year (right):
Salaries and per-diem for School Board members and officers: The School Board approved member and officer salaries and Per Diem payments for 2016 with no increase.
Designation of depositories: The School Board approved the following institutions as depositories for Columbia Heights Public Schools:
- LaSalle National Bank
- US Bank
- Northeast Bank
- Minnesota School District Liquid Asset Fund Plus (MSDLAF+)
- Wells Fargo
The School Board also voted that investment brokers Morgan Stanley and PMA Financial Network are authorized and directed to honor orders, when signed by the Treasurer and the Clerk, for the withdrawal or transfer of funds on deposit as instructed.
Designation of electronic transfer designees: The School Board reappointed Director of Finance and Operations Bill Holmgren and Manager of Accounting Services Phan Tu.
Designation of Legal Counsel and contacts: The School Board appointed the following individuals as legal counsels for Columbia Heights Public Schools:
- Karen Kepple, Northeast Metro 916
- Laura Tubbs Booth, Booth & Lavorato LLC
- Joseph Langel, Ratwik, Roszak, and Moloney, P.A.
Designation of Election Clerk: The School Board approved the reappointment of Dawn Hoium as the designee for the Election Clerk.
Designation of Official Newspaper: The School Board approved the Sun Focus as the official newspaper for the school district. The Sun Focus serves the communities of Columbia Heights, Fridley, Hilltop, Mounds View, New Brighton and St. Anthony. The Sun Focus met the legal requirements set forth in Minnesota Statute 331A.04.
Do you have questions or comments? Click here
- Jan. 12, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Jan. 19, 5 p.m., School Board Listening Session
- Jan. 19, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Jan. 26, Special School Board Election A
- Jan. 27, 7 p.m., School Board Candidate Forum, Community Room
- Jan. 28, 6 p.m., Canvassing Meeting for Special Election A, Community Room
- Feb. 9, Special School Board Election B Primary Election
- Feb. 16, 5 p.m., Listening Session, District Center
- Feb. 16, 5:30 p.m., Canvassing Meeting for Special Election B, Community Room
- Feb. 16, 6 p.m., Sub-Committee on Policy Meeting, Superintendent's Conference Room
- Feb. 16, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
2016-2017 School Board committee assignments
Chair Larkin Vice Chair Palmer Treasurer Lewis Clerk Landwehr Vacant Vacant Association of Metropolitan School Districts
Liaison to City of Fridley
Liaison to Highland Elementary School
NE Metro Intermediate District 916 Board
Liaison to City of Hilltop
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Liaison to North Park Elementary School
Educational Cooperative Service UnitMinnesota State High School League
Liaison to City of Columbia Heights
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Liaison to Columbia Heights HS, Columbia Academy and Family Center
Minnesota School Board Association Legislative Liaison
West Metro Education Program
Columbia Heights Business Council
Liaison to Valley View Elementary School