Jan. 19, 2016 Regular Business Meeting
The School Board honored TIES 2016 Exceptional Teacher award recipients Valley View Elementary School fifth-grade teacher Emily Gartner and Columbia Heights High School Math Teacher Dan Ronchak. The two were honored by the statewide educational agency for modeling best practices in their classrooms and engaging students in learning.
Acknowledgement of Contributions
Chair John Larkin announced, and the School Board approved, a resolution for accepting current contributions in the amount of $3,963.81. The total fiscal year 2015-2016 monetary contributions to date are $23,496.
Discussion, Reports, Information Items
- Vice Chair Laura Palmer participated in the Jan. 12, 2016 Regular Business Meeting, the Jan. 19 Listening Session and the NE Metro Intermediate District 916 Board organizational meeting. Ms. Palmer also attended the MSBA conference.
- Treasurer Molly Lewis participated in the Jan. 12, 2016 Regular Business Meeting, the MSBA conference and high school conferences.
- Clerk Ted Landwehr participated in the Jan. 12, 2016 Regular Business Meeting and the Jan. 19 Listening Session, attended a WMEP Board Meeting and the MSBA conference. Mr. Landwehr also met with Interim Director of Teaching and Learning Zena Stenvik on the Math-in-Focus program (voted on later in this meeting).
Director of Finance and Operations Bill Holmgren briefed the School Board on his department's responsibility of Strategic Direction "F" (Remain Fiscally Responsible). This annual reporting is aligned to the School District's Strategic Roadmap (right, click on to expand). Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
Fire Alarm System
The School Board approved the bid for the replacement of the fire alarm system at Columbia Heights High School, the District Center and the Family Center, to the lowest bidder, ECSI, as presented at the Jan. 12, 2016 Regular Business Meeting.
American Indian Education Resolution
The School Board approved the American Indian Education Resolution in accordance with Minn Stat 124D.78. The American Indian Parent Committee agrees that Columbia Heights Public Schools' programs meet the needs of American Indians students. Director of Student Services Nicole Halabi presented on this topic at the Jan. 12, 2016 Regular Business Meeting.Math Curriculum
The School Board approved the K-5 math curriculum, Math in Focus, to be implemented in the fall of 2016. Interim Director Stenvik presented on this topic at the Jan. 12, 2016 Regular Business Meeting.
Do you have questions or comments? Click here
- Jan. 25, No School, Grading Day
- Jan. 26, Special School Board Election A
- Jan. 27, 7 p.m., School Board Candidate Forum, Community Room
- Jan. 28, 6 p.m., Canvassing Meeting for Special Election A, Community Room
- Feb. 9, Special School Board Election B Primary Election
- Feb. 16, 5 p.m., Listening Session, District Center
- Feb. 16, 5:30 p.m., Canvassing Meeting for Special Election B, Community Room
- Feb. 16, 6 p.m., Sub-Committee on Policy Meeting, Superintendent's Conference Room
- Feb. 16, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Feb. 23, 7 p.m. Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
2016-2017 School Board committee assignments
Chair Larkin Vice Chair Palmer Treasurer Lewis Clerk Landwehr Vacant Vacant Association of Metropolitan School Districts
Liaison to City of Fridley
Liaison to Highland Elementary School
NE Metro Intermediate District 916 Board
Liaison to City of Hilltop
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Liaison to North Park Elementary School
Educational Cooperative Service Unit
Minnesota State High School League
Liaison to City of Columbia Heights
School Board Policy Sub-Committee
Liaison to Columbia Heights HS, Columbia Academy and Family Center
Minnesota School Board Association Legislative Liaison
West Metro Education Program
Columbia Heights Business Council
Liaison to Valley View Elementary School