Feb. 16, 2016 Regular Business Meeting
| Swearing In of Newly Elected Board Member
Chair John Larkin administered the Oath of Office to newly elected School Board Director Naty Severson. Ms. Severson was elected Jan. 26, 2016 to fill the seat vacated by the resignation of former Director Lori Meyer. Ms. Severson will fill the seat for the duration of the four-year term.
| Discussion, Reports, Information Items
Chair John Larkin participated in the Jan. 19 School Board and Jan. 28 Canvassing meetings, the Feb. 16 Listening Session, the Jan. 19 and Feb. 16 Chair meetings, attended the Special Elections B Candidate Forum, Association of Metropolitan School Districts meeting. He also attended the College Prep Night at Columbia Heights High School (CHHS), the Columbia Academy band concert and wrestling and girls' basketball events.
School Board Special Election B candidates (left) Dr. Hala Asamarai and Tim Utz participated in a Jan. 27 School Board Candidate Forum. The two received the most votes in the Feb. 9 Special Election B Primary and will move forward for the April 7, 2016 Special Election.
- Vice Chair Laura Palmer participated in the Jan. 19 School Board and Jan. 28 Canvassing meetings and the Feb. 16 Chair meeting and Feb. 16 Listening Sessions. She also participated in a NE Metro Intermediate District 916 Board meeting. Vice Chair Palmer also attended the Columbia Academy band concert.
- Treasurer Molly Lewis participated in the Jan. 19 School Board and Jan. 28 Canvassing meetings, had a meeting with Superintendent Kathy Kelly, attended Highland Elementary School conferences, the Youth Appreciation Night at CHHS and boys' and girls' junior varsity basketball games.
- Clerk Ted Landwehr participated in the Jan. 19 School Board and Jan. 28 Canvassing meetings and West Metro Education Program (WMEP) Finance, Executive and Board meetings. He also met with Superintendent Kelly and attended the Valley View Elementary School PTO meeting.
- Director Naty Severson shared she had a District Center orientation, met with constituents, attended the Academic Night at Columbia Academy and conferences and the 5th Grade Band Concert at North Park Elementary School.
- Superintendent Kathy Kelly participated in the Jan. 19 School Board and Jan. 28 Canvassing meetings, hosted TIES representatives visit to Columbia Heights Public Schools (CHPS), shared that Director of Finance and Operations Bill Holmgren and she met with representatives from Springstead, Inc., to discuss planning of the annual community satisfaction survey. She shared that the Bridge Team has been charged to begin meeting on the next steps of the former Castle Heights site. She attended the WMEP Joint Power Meeting with Clerk Landwehr, reported that planning and designing for the all-purpose open studio site at CHHS is ongoing and that Administration is working through the staffing and evaluation process. She thanked each School Board member for meeting with her in the previous weeks.
2015-2016 Revised Budget
Director Holmgren briefed the School Board on the revised budget for 2015-2016. Click here to view the revision.
FY 2017 Budget Consideration
Director Holmgren requested that the School Board consider eliminating a subsidized line item in the FY 2017 budget (Hylander Weight Room). The request is because the cost of the program is outweighing the fees collected. This request may be brought forward as an action item at an upcoming School Board Business Meeting.
Director of Community Education Kristen Stuenkel, Interim Director of Teaching and Learning Zena Stenvik, Director of K-12 Activities and Athletics Matt Miller and Educational Support Coordinator Marsha Walker provided information on summer program opportunities, including grade levels, Special Education and English Language Learners and Community Education and Activity Department offerings and also AP preparation and engineering and a five-week Writing Seminar (photos at right from 2015). Elementary programming will be held this year at North Park Elementary School, middle school at Columbia Academy and high school within the District. Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
Summer Seminar collaboration
Interim Director Stenvik provided information on a summer collaboration initiative with the St. Anthony-New Bright School District. Click here for the PowerPoint Presentation.
West Metro Education Program (WMEP)
Director Holmgren and Interim Director Stenvik provided a presentation that included an explanation of the West Metro Education Program, its current member districts, findings and finances. They also discussed short- and long-term concerns, participation, professional development and student programs. Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
North Park Learning Studios
| Third Grade Learning Studio
||Fourth Grade Learning Studio
|| Fifth Grade Learning Studio
Principal Jeff Cacek and Cunningham Architect Dan DeVeau presented the findings of an 18-month research project on the North Park Learning Studios in partnership with the University of Minnesota School of Architecture, College of Education and Human Development and the Cunningham Group. Click here for their PowerPoint presentation.
Policy and Signatures - 200 Series
Chair Larkin and Vice Chair Palmer discussed the procedures regarding the "200" series of School Board policies. There currently are 18 policies in the Board of Education 200 series (To view the 200 series and all policies, click here)
School Board Recognition Week
Superintendent Kelly shared that the Minnesota School Boards Association (MSBA) set Feb. 15th to 19th as Minnesota School Board Recognition Week in Minnesota. This is a time to build awareness and understanding of the vital function an elected board of education plays in our society. Columbia Heights Public Schools is joining all public school districts across the state to celebrate School Board Recognition Week to honor local board members for their commitment to the Columbia Heights community and its children. The four School Board Directors who have served this past year were recognized by Superintendent Kelly.
- Feb. 23, 7 p.m. Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Feb. 23, School Board Work Session, Community Room (Immediately following 7 p.m. meeting)
- March 8, 5 p.m., Sub-Committee on Policy, Superintendent's Conference Room
- March 8, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- March 15, 5 p.m., School Board Listening Session, Family Center
- March 15, 5:30 p.m., School Board Work Session, Community Room
- March 21-2015, No school, Spring Break
Do you have questions or comments? Click here
| 2016-2017 School Board committee assignments