April 26, 2016 Regular Business Meeting
| Swearing In of Newly Elected Board Member
Chair John Larkin administered the Oath of Office to newly elected School Board Director Dr. Hala Asamarai, who was elected April 5, 2016. She fills the duration of the four-year term vacated by the resignation of former Director Grant Nichols. The School Board now has its full six members.
| Acknowledgement of Contributions
Chair John Larkin announced, and the School Board approved, a resolution for accepting current contributions in the amount of $12,949.68. The total fiscal year 2015-2016 monetary contributions to date are $71,894.68.
| Discussion, Reports, Information Items
Chair John Larkin participated in the April 12 Business Meeting and April 19 Work Session, attended the Pow Wow (picture right) and the Columbia Heights High School "Grease." He also met with Superintendent Kathy Kelly and had conversations with School Board directors.
- Vice Chair Laura Palmer participated in the April 12 Business Meeting and April 19 Work Session. She also attended the Highland Fine Arts Night and elementary concert.
- Treasurer Molly Lewis participated in the April 12 Business Meeting and April 19 Work Session, attended the Highland Fine Arts Night and elementary concert and an Educational Cooperative Service Unit meeting. She also participated in a Minnesota School Board Association training, met with Superintendent Kelly and attended the Grease musical and varsity track meets.
- Clerk Ted Landwehr participated in the April 12 Business Meeting and April 19 Work Session and West Metro Education Program (WMEP) Board meeting, attended the Valley View Elementary School Carnival and the Grease musical.
- Director Naty Severson participated in the April 12 Business Meeting and April 19 Work Session and attended the Teacher of the Year celebration. She also attended a Columbia Academy softball intra-squad game and varsity girls' softball and varsity boys' baseball games.
- Director Hala Asamarai participated in initial School Board training.
Northeast Metro 916
Northeast Metro Intermediate District 916 Superintendent Connie Hayes provided the annual update to the School Board. Click here for the PowerPoint presentation. Click here for the NE 916 Annual Report for Columbia Heights Public Schools.
Annual Capital Project Levy Update
|Reconfigured entrance and exits for high school, District Center and Highland Elementary School under construction summer 2015.
||Expansion of technology tablets to students. Also, updating of technology infrastructure throughout the district is in progress.
||Replacement of main entrance windows, at the high school. The work was to replace the original windows.
|Director of Finance and Operations Bill Holmgren and Director of Technology and Security Services Bryan Hennekens provided the second year update of projects undertaken that are funded by the 2014 voter approved Capital Projects Levy. The pictures at right are examples of some of the projects worked on; to enlarge the photos simply click on each visual. Click here for Directors Holmgren and Hennekens' PowerPoint presentation.
Director Holmgren briefed the School Board on the creation of a Performance Studio at Columbia Heights High School. The studio is being designed with mirrored walls (drapes can be pulled) and striping on the floor with the same dimensions of the CHHS Performing Arts Center stage (the studios are for student practice only).
West Metro Education Program (WMEP), Columbia Heights, St. Anthony/New Brighton field trips
Interim Director of Teaching and Learning Zena Stenvik provided the School Board updates on two field trips that took place this spring (WMEP and Columbia Heights with St. Anthony/New Brighton). Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
Board Policies - First Reading
||Transportation of Public School Students
||Health and Safety
||Waste Reduction and Recycling
Valley View Drive contract
The School Board approved a contract to Midwest Asphalt in the amount of $551,800 for the drive reconfiguration project at Valley View Elementary School. The winning bid was approximately $129,000 less than the highest bid received. This project, discussed at the April 12, 2016 Business Meeting, will be funded from the 2014 Capital Projects Levy.
- May 10, 5 p.m., Sub-committee on Policy, Superintendent's Conference Room
- May 10, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- May 17, 5 p.m., School Board Listening Session, Family Center
- May 17, 5:30 p.m., School Board Work Session, Community Room
- May 24, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- May 30, Holiday, no school, all District offices and services closed
- June 3, Last day of school for students
- June 3, 7 p.m., Class of 2016 Graduation, Columbia Heights High School stadium
- June 14, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
Do you have questions or comments? Click here
| 2016-2017 School Board committee assignments