May 27, 2014 Regular Business Meeting
Discussion, Reports and Information Items
Acknowledgement of Contributions: The School Board approved a resolution for accepting current contributions in the amount of $18,915.00. The total Fiscal Year 2013-2014 monetary donations to date are $63,698.51.
Reports from the School Board:
Kirk Schneidawind (right), Executive Director of the Minnesota School Board Association, President- Elect Kevin Donovan (left) and School Board Director Missy Lee at the Blooming Heights garden.
Graduating senior Nebiyu “Nebs” Daniel received a Lions' Club scholarship from Lion member and Mayor of Columbia Heights Gary Peterson. More than $270,000 in scholarships was awarded at the Columbia Heights High School Academic Awards Ceremony.
- Vice-Chair John Larkin attended the Columbia Academy band concert and a high school choir concert, participated in the May 20 Work Session, helped at the North Park Elementary School BBQ and met with Director Landwehr.
- Treasurer Lori Meyer participated in the May 20 Work Session, helped at the North Park Elementary School BBQ and participated in a meeting with Board members.
- Clerk Missy Lee attended the May 20 Work Session, escorted the Executive Director and President-Elect of the Minnesota School Board Association on a tour of North Park and Highland elementary schools and Blooming Heights (photo right). Ms. Lee also attended the CHHS Academic Awards Ceremony.
- Director Ted Landwehr attended the May 20 Work Session, enjoyed girls' softball games and the CHHS Academic Awards Ceremony, the all-night party planning meeting, participated in a West Metro Education Program Board meeting and met with Director Larkin.
- Director Laura Palmer attended the May 20 Work Session, the Silverwood "Expressions" Art Showcase and participated in a North East Metro Intermediate District 916 Board Meeting.
Superintendent's Report: Superintendent Kathy Kelly deferred her report.
Discussion, Reports, Information Items
Teacher of the Year: The School Board recognized the Columbia Heights Public School District 2014 Teacher of the Year, Dr. Carolyn Bang. This is the 13th year of the award. Dr. Bang (pictured with Chair Scott Bardell) is a First-Grade teacher at North Park Elementary School. She has been in this district 29 years and North Park since 1991. Dr. Bang has Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Elementary Education from Augustana College (Sioux Falls) and the University of Minnesota. Her PhD., also from the University of Minnesota, is in Education with a concentration in Math. She is the District nominee for the state Teacher of the Year award.
Senior Laura D’Almeida (right) shares her AVID story as fellow students Brenda Sanchez (left) and Nick Two Bears (second from left) listen. Also pictured are Zena Stenvik (second from right) and Duane Berkas.
AVID Update: Director of Teaching and Learning Duane Berkas and Professional Development Coordinator and District AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) Director Zena Stenvik presented an update on the AVID Program. This is the third AVID graduating class at Columbia Heights High School. Three students, Brenda Sanchez, Laura D’Almeida and Nick Two Bears, shared their personal stories, including their college plans. To view each of their PowerPoint presentations, click on their names in the photo box.
Strategic Direction C: Director of Student Services Nicole Halabi and Valley View Elementary School Principal Willie Fort presented information on Strategic Direction C: "Know and honor who we are to build strong relationships." Their presentation included the following:
- Enrollment data
- Programs and strategies
- Achievement data
- Demographic data
- Implementation data
- Outreach: Parents and community
- Looking ahead: Goals and planning
Click hereto view the PowerPoint presentation.
Building Vision Card - High School: As part of the Strategic Roadmap annual reporting, Director Berkas and CHHS Principal Dan Wrobleski presented information on the school's Vision Card. Similar to the Valley View presentation, Principal Wrobleski presented on enrollment data, programs and strategies, achievement data, demographic data, implementation data, Outreach to parents and community and Looking Ahead: Goals and Planning. Click here to view the PowerPoint presentation.
21st Century Skills and College and Career Pathway: Director Berkas and Director of Technology and Security Services Bryan Hennekens presented on the 21st Century Skills and College and Career Pathway. This initiative, scheduled to be implemented starting Fall of 2014, provides a college and career "path" and framework for kindergarten through 12th graders. Click here to view the PowerPoint presentation, which includes the new Technology Plan.
Levy Question Information: Superintendent Kathy Kelly, Director of Finance and Operations Bill Holmgren and Director of Technology and Security Services Bryan Hennekens presented information on the 10-year levy renewal that is scheduled to expire in two years. Director Holmgren provided financial information as it relates to this District's operations. Director Hennekens provided technology information as it relates to education issues. Click here to view the PowerPoint presentation.
National School Board Association Conference Information: Board Directors Missy Lee and Laura Palmer shared their observations from the National School Board Association Conference.
Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) membership: The School Board approved MSHSL membership renewal.
Resolution Establishing a Sub-Committee for Board Listening Sessions: The School Board approved a resolution establishing a sub-committee on Board listening sessions.
August 12, 2014 Regular School Board meeting change: The School Board approved a motion to change the Regular School Board meeting from August 12, 2014 to Wednesday, August 13, 2014 at 7 p.m.
Board Chair Election: The School Board voted for candidates Scott Bardell and Ted Landwehr. Director Bardell received four votes and was elected Chair.
- June 3, 5 p.m., Filings for School Board openings close
- June 3, 6:30 p.m., Ground Breaking at Valley View Elementary School
- June 10, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- June 11, Last day of School for Students
- June 11, 7 p.m., Columbia Heights High School Graduation
- June 17, 6 p.m., School Board Work Session, Community Room
- June 24, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
Do you have questions or comments? Click here.