May 13, 2014 Regular Business Meeting
Discussion, Reports and Information Items
Reports from the School Board:
The Columbia Academy band played at the April 30th Clean, Fed and Warm fundraiser. High School Engineering Teacher and Head Football Coach Matt Townsend (left) was presented the CH Boosters' Distinguished Service Award by former student athlete and now K-12 Activities and Athletics Director Matt Miller. The latter, while a student at CHHS, played four years of football for Coach Townsend.
- Vice-Chair John Larkin attended the Pow Wow, MSBA Phase IV training, Clean, Fed and Warm fundraiser, the Mayor's breakfast, multiple junior varsity baseball games, Columbia Academy comedy night, the high school musical, the Early Childhood Family Education picnic, the Mayor's breakfast, high school conferences, the high school band concert and the Minnesota State High School League annual meeting.
- Treasurer Lori Meyer attended the Phase IV MSBA workshop.
- Clerk Missy Lee attended the Mayor's breakfast, the Career Celebration, the CH Booster Club dinner, the spring high school musical and met with representatives from the City of Columbia Heights who shared positive remarks about the school district. Ms. Lee will be attending a two-day MSBA Board meeting and retreat.
- Director Ted Landwehr attended the Phase IV MSBA workshop, the Columbia Heights Booster Club dinner, the Mayor's breakfast, the Pow Wow, the Career Celebration, girls' softball games, and CHHS all-night senior's party planning, West Metro Education Program (WMEP), Lions Club and Columbia Heights Business Council meetings.
- Director Laura Palmer attended the Mayor's Breakfast, the Pow-Wow, the Clean, Fed and Warm fundraiser, the seventh- and eighth-grade concert at Columbia Academy, the Career Celebration and a North East Metro Intermediate District 916 Board meeting.
- Shared that to celebrate National Administrative Professional Recognition Day a special luncheon and backstage tour of the Guthrie Theatre was arranged. Superintendent Kelly offered special thanks to the Barb Fealy/Scott Bardell family for donating "swag" bags for the administrative professionals who attended the event.
- Attended a WMEP Joint Powers Board work study as an observer with Director of Finance and Operations Bill Holmgren and Director of Teaching and Learning Duane Berkas. The focus of the work study was on the restructuring of leadership and commitment to WMEP.
- Reported that she attended the AMSD Executive Committee meeting, which focused on legislation in progress and the establishment of a strategic planning process.
- Participated in Phase IV MSBA training workshop on community engagement with Board Directors Bardell, Meyer, Landwehr and Larkin.
Highland Elementary School second grader Jess Davies Jr., with his uncle Adrian Ellis at the First Nation Pow Wow. Administrative professionals from throughout the district had lunch (courtesy of their supervisors) and a special backstage tour of the Guthrie Theatre. They were joined by Superintendent Kathy Kelly (second from left), Columbia Academy Principal Mary Bussman (far right) and Director of Teaching and Learning Duane Berkas (not pictured).
- Attended the first First Nation Pow Wow, which drew hundreds of people for great food, dancing, singing and ceremonies. Superintendent Kelly said the event was wonderful. She offered special thanks to Director of Student Services Nicole Halabi, Staff Development Coordinator Zena Stenvik and English Language/ Family Involvement Coordinator Jane Riordan for their organizational skills and Director of Communications Casey Mahon for photos.
- Reported that the final Aligning Technology with College and Career Readiness internal meeting was held.
Dr. Carolyn Bang of North Park Elementary School is the Columbia Heights Public Schools Teacher of the Year for 2014.
Retiree Tom Schmidt (left) is congratulated by Board member Ted Landwehr and presented with a commemorative school bell.
- Shared she enjoyed a site visit to Columbia Academy.
- Noted that the Mayor's Prayer Breakfast was the best that she has attended and offered complements to speaker Sal N. DiLeo.
- Attended an Academic Return on Investment workshop with Director of Technology and Security Bryan Hennekens and Directors Holmgren and Berkas and from what they learned they are now working on implementing practices.
- Shared that the Clean, Fed and Warm event was a great event as well as the Athletic Boosters Awards and Career Celebration dinner. She shared her thanks to all who helped put on these events.
- Attended the 2014 Teacher of the Year recognition event for Dr. Carolyn Bang from North Park Elementary School.
- Reported that Principal Bussman and she met with a VHI Save the Music Foundation representative as part of an annual audit. A Minnesota Public Radio representative also attended the visit as part of a possible partnership to support music education.
- Thanked the Columbia Heights Fire Department for putting on a suicide prevention workshop for the district staff.
- Shared she had meetings and phone calls with individual Board Members and thanked each for their time.
Discussion, Reports, Information Items
Interim Chair Scott Bardell and CHPS 2014 Employee of the Year Wendy Bornetun.
Employee of the Year: Director of Human Resources Lindsey Bennett presented information on the Columbia Heights Public Schools' Employee of the Year, Wendy Bornetun. Ms. Bornetun is the secretary for the Teaching and Learning Department. The four members of that department read the nomination submission.
Vision Card - ECFE/ECSE: Director of Community Education Kristen Stuenkel and Director of Student Services Nicole Halabi presented on the Strategic Roadmap Vision Card for Early Childhood Family Education and Early Childhood Special Education. Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
Health and Safety Three-Year Plan: Director of Finance and Operations Bill Holmgren presented information on the Health and Safety three-year plan. Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
Communications Audit: Director of Communications Casey Mahon presented the results and recommendations of the recent National Schools Public Relations Association (NSPRA) Communications Audit. Click here for the PowerPoint presentation.
World's Best Workforce Committee Approval: The School Board approved the membership for the World's Best Workforce Committee.
Termination of Probationary Teacher Contracts: The School Board approved the adoption of a resolution placing tenured teachers on Unrequested Leave of Absence.
Termination of Programs and Positions: The School Board approved the adoption of a resolution to terminate certain programs and positions for the coming school year.
Board Chair Election: The School Board voted for candidates Scott Bardell and Ted Landwehr. As each candidate received three votes and there was a tie vote, a Chair was not elected. The School Board will continue to vote for a Chair at the next Regular Business Meeting.
- May 20, 6 p.m., School Board Work Session, Community Room
- May 26, No School
- May 27, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- June 10, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- June 11, Last day of School for Students
- June 11, 7 p.m., Columbia Heights High School Graduation
Do you have questions or comments? Click here.