Jan. 14, 2014 Organizational Meeting
Election of Chair: The following nominations were put forth:
- Scott Bardell nominated by Missy Lee.
- Ted Landwehr self-nominated.
The School Board voted and each candidate received three votes; as there was a tie vote a Chair was not elected. The School Board will continue to vote for a Chair at each Regular Business Meeting.
Election of Vice Chair: The following nominations were put forth:
- John Larkin nominated by Missy Lee.
- Ted Landwehr self-nominated.
The School Board voted to elect John Larkin as Vice Chair.
Election of Clerk: The following nomination was put forth:
- Missy Lee self-nominated.
The School Board voted to elect Missy Lee as Clerk.
Election of Treasurer: The following nomination was put forth:
- Lori Meyer nominated by Missy Lee.
The School Board voted to elect Lori Meyer as Treasurer.
Appointment of Parliamentarian/Adoption of Robert's Rules of Order: Acting Chair Bardell appointed Laura Palmer as Parliamentarian and approved Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, except where modified by School Board policy, as the official rules.
Meeting Dates and Times: The School Board voted to continue holding Regular Meetings on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m. The School Board also decided to change the start of Work Sessions to 6 p.m. the third Tuesday of the month.
Appointment of Board Representatives: The School Board voted and approved the appointment, effective immediately, of its members to the following standing committees:
- Minnesota School Board Association: Legislative Liaison: Laura Palmer
- Educational Cooperative Service Unit: Lori Meyer
- Minnesota State High School League: John Larkin
- TIES: Missy Lee
- West Metro Education Program: Ted Landwehr
- North East Metro Intermediate District 916: Board: Laura Palmer
- Association of Metropolitan School Districts: Scott Bardell
- Columbia Heights Business Council: Laura Palmer
- Liaison to City of Columbia Heights: Missy Lee
- Liaison to City of Fridley: Scott Bardell
- Liaison to City of Hilltop: Lori Meyer
- School Board Policy Sub-Committee: Laura Palmer, Ted Landwehr and Scott Bardell
Appointment of Board Building Liaisons The School Board voted and approved the appointment of the following members as liaisons for school assignments:
- Highland Elementary School: Missy Lee
- North Park Elementary School: Ted Landwehr
- Valley View Elementary School: Lori Meyer
- Columbia Academy: Laura Palmer
- Columbia Heights High School: John Larkin
- Family Center: Scott Bardell
Salaries and Per Diem for Board Members and Board Officers: The School Board approved the member and Officer salaries and per diem for 2014 at the same rate as the previous year.
Designation of Depositories: The School Board approved the following institutions as depositories for Columbia Heights Public Schools:
- LaSalle National Bank
- US Bank
- Northeast Bank-Columbia Heights Branch
- Minnesota School District Liquid Asset Fund Plus
- Wells Fargo
Designation of Legal Counsel and Contacts: The School Board appointed the following individuals as legal counsels for Columbia Heights Public Schools:
- Karen Kepple, Northeast Metro 916
- Laura Tubbs Booth, Booth & Lavorato LLC
- Joseph Langel, Ratwik, Roszak, and Moloney, P.A.
Designation of Election Clerk: The School Board approved the reappointment of Dawn Hoium as the designee for the Election Clerk.
Designation of Official Newspaper: The School Board approved the Sun-Focus as the official newspaper for the school district. The Sun-Focus serves the communities of Columbia Heights, Fridley, Hilltop, Mounds View, New Brighton and St. Anthony.
Jan. 14, 2014 Regular Meeting
School Board Chair Scott Bardell
and Director of Teaching and
Learning Bryan Hennekens
Discussion, Reports, Information Items:
Heights Lites: The School Board honored Director of Technology and Security Services Bryan Hennekens for receiving the TIES 2013 Minnesota Technology Leader Award (see photo and video at right)
Reports from the School Board:
- Chair Scott Bardell reported he attended an Association of Metropolitan School Districts (AMSD) meeting.
- Vice-Chair John Larkin watched the Columbia Academy production of Alice in Wonderland, Jr. and will participate in a Minnesota School Board Association conference, Jan. 16 and 17, 2014.
- Treasurer Lori Meyer had no report.
- Director Ted Landwehr helped in a high school all-night party and will participate in the MSBA conference with Vice-Chair Larkin Friday, Jan. 16 and 17, 2014.
- Director Missy Lee had no report.
- Director Laura Palmer attended the TIES annual conference, the Columbia Academy choir concert, the Highland Elementary School trip to Crestview Senior Home, the Hylanders honor band concert and the North East Metro Intermediate District 916 Organizational Meeting.
Superintendent's Report: Superintendent Kathy Kelly did not have a report.
Board Policies - First Reading. These new or modified polices are available (click on the number) for staff and community input. These policies will appear on a future agenda for approval:
504 - Student Dress and Appearance
509 - Enrollment of Non-Resident Students
526 - Hazing Prohibition
527 - Student Use and Parking of Motor Vehicles; Patrols, Inspections and Searches
602 - Organization of School Calendar and School Day
603 - Curriculum Development
604 - Instructional Curriculum
613 - Graduation Requirements
620 - Credit for Learning
806 - Crisis Management Policy.
Building Non-Affiliated Salaries Increase: The School Board approved Non-Affiliated Salaries Increases for 2013-2014 and 2014-2015.
- Jan. 20, No School, Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday
- Jan. 21, 6 p.m., School Board Work Session, Community Room
- Jan. 24, No School, Grading Day
- Jan. 28, 7 p.m., Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
- Feb. 11, Tue. 5 p.m. Sub-committee on Policy, Supt. Conference Room
- Feb. 11, Tue. 7 p.m. Regular School Board Meeting, Community Room
Do you have questions or comments? Click here.