2022 Welcome Letter
Greetings from Columbia Academy,
We are excited to have your child join us at Columbia Academy for the upcoming school year! Our first job is to make sure your child knows Columbia Academy is a community of learners where all belong. Making sure your child is ready for the first day of school is an important step we can take together to help your child get off to a great start.
With the start of school just a month away, here is some important back-to-school information for you.
Columbia Academy Open House: Tuesday, August 30th 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
Join us at Open House and meet your child's advisor and more:
- Collect your child's schedule
- Locate your child's classrooms and locker
- Get assistance in completing required school forms
First day of school: Tuesday, September 6th 8:20 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
Our first day of school will include orientation for our 6th graders as well as a welcome back for our 7th and 8th graders. Our first day is always an important time to build a sense of community where all belong.
Purchase your child’s required School Uniform online at Rapit Printing.
Columbia Academy is a uniform school. Students are required to be in uniform to attend classes. Uniforms help us build a sense of belonging to the same team and show the importance of education in the lives of our students.
- Please be sure your child is ready for school by ordering their uniform shirts online. Navy or khaki colored pants can be purchased at Walmart, Target, or Savers.
- Uniform orders will be delivered to school or can be picked up at Rapit Printing.
Purchase your child’s required Case It online also at Rapit Printing.
Case Its protect the computer your child will be issued to use throughout the school year as they transport it inside and outside of school.
- Case Its will include paper, a pencil pouch, and the Columbia Academy school planner.
- Case Its will be handed out on the first day of school.
Sign your child up for Fall Athletics and Activities on the District Website. Register here.
- 6th – 8th Graders: Football, Girls Volleyball, and Soccer
- 7th – 8th Graders: Girls Tennis, Girls Swimming and Dive, Adapted Soccer
- 6th – 8th Graders: Robotics
- All students will have the opportunity to sign up for many other activities once school begins.
Make sure we have your correct contact information on ParentVue.
ParentVue is our database for important information, including your correct phone number and email address as well as your emergency contact information. Make sure you check to see that our information in ParentVue is correct by logging into your ParentVue account and clicking on Registration. (See the picture below for more information.) If you do not have a ParentVue account, please reach out to Sarah Durst at email@example.com. It is very important that all parents have a ParentVue account so we can communicate well with you.
Complete the following important forms.
- Parents must complete the Technology Use Agreement Form each year before their child can be issued their computer.
- We ask that all parents complete the Educational Benefits form on our Food Service website page. This form is required for free and reduced-price lunch but is also necessary for our school district to qualify for additional educational services that benefit all students. Filling out this form helps us provide educational opportunities for all of our students!
Thank you for being part of our Columbia Academy community! We look forward to meeting you at the Open House and helping your child get off to a great start. Please be in touch with any questions.
All the best from Columbia Academy,
Principal of Columbia Academy
Columbia Academy Leadership
Columbia Academy consists of a community of learners where every student knows they belong and each student helps to create a culture of academics. Our school is serious about academics including the arts; we like to say we have our heads in academics and our hearts in the arts! With strong core academics and vibrant performing and visual arts programs, we are part of the Columbia Heights Public Schools mission to provide worlds of opportunity for all students.
The middle years are an amazing time of development for our children. Adolescent brains grow rapidly just as students are changing quickly in their physical appearance and their sense of independence. We know it is essential that we work to support the whole child in middle school with the many social/emotional, physical, and intellectual changes that occur at this age. We stress three things as we provide this support to all students: First, that every child belongs to our Columbia Academy team; Second, that together we can RISE UP by paying attention to our core values of respect, integrity, strength, excellence, understanding and pride; Third, that our school will be defined as having a strong culture of academics where we believe in ourselves and the power of persistent effort to learn.
Columbia Academy encourages students to participate in our after school activities including our excellent theater and robotics programs open to all grade levels. Grades 7 and 8 have many athletic activities our students can join throughout the school year. After school academic services are also available for students through Targeted Services. Leadership opportunities are available for all grades in Student Council and for 8th graders through the Where Everyone Belongs (WEB) program that helps welcome new students to our school.
Columbia Academy has high expectations for academics and behavior because we know our students have the capacity to do great things. We believe in our students and help our students learn to believe in themselves as they develop skills that will prepare them for success in high school, college, and career. We are Columbia Academy and together we RISE UP!