About the School Board
The Columbia Heights Board of Education is committed to making our District one of the best in Minnesota. Enhancing opportunities for schools and classrooms is our first priority. As policy makers, this School Board is responsible for providing a sound, basic, quality education for all students by promoting commitment and creative academic performance.
The six-member School Board, as community leaders, provides open dialogue with mutual respect, working with the Superintendent of Schools and local government, securing sufficient resources and serving as advocates for the District. The School Board also transacts matters pertaining to the maintenance and operation of the District. The state gives the School Board the authority and responsibility to:
- Develop and adopt policies for the operation of the schools.
- Employ a superintendent to provide educational leadership for the District and to serve as its chief administrative officer.
- Provide materials, equipment, supplies and facilities to support an effective educational program.
- Express and represent the view of the school district community on educational issues.
- Provide equal educational opportunities for every child in accordance with state and federal statutes.
- The School Board is elected to represent the taxpayer's interests in determining how our schools will be operated. The School Board establishes policies on everything from curriculum to athletic programs, and these policies are carried out by the Superintendent of Schools.
Meetings & Work Sessions
The School Board holds Regular Business Meetings 7 p.m. the second and fourth Tuesday of the month. Work Sessions are held 5:30 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month. All School Board meetings are held at the District Center, 1440 49th Avenue NE, Columbia Heights, unless otherwise posted.
Because there is a Primary Election on Tuesday, August 9, the CHPS School Board meeting will be rescheduled from that day to Wednesday, August 10, 2022.
Because there is a General Election on Tuesday, November 8, the CHPS School Board meeting will be rescheduled from that day to Wednesday, November 9, 2022.
We invite you to attend our meetings and we welcome your support and input. If you do not find what you are looking for, let us know. Thank you for supporting Columbia Heights Public Schools. For more information, call 763-528-4504.